We have collected some tips and tricks for Shredder for Windows, Macintosh and Linux. They allow you to use Shredder more efficiently and to discover some special features.
- You play against Shredder and lose most of the games? No problem, you can set Shredder to any playing strength you like. Simply change the setting for the playing strength in the different level dialogs or use "Limit Strength” from the Levels menu.
- If you want to know your own playing strength, you can play rated games against Shredder. Shredder will simulate players with different playing strengths and will keep track of your results to calculate your rating. Use File -> New Rated Game from the main menu to start (Windows version).
- You can directly download daily updated chess puzzles from our website. Use Mode -> Daily Chess Puzzles to get a puzzle with your selected level of difficulty. There will be new puzzles every day (Windows version).
- You do not like the different coloured arrows and dots on the chess board when playing against Shredder? Simply right click on the chess board in the Windows version and disable the features you do not like in the context menu. Use the Preferences dialog in the Macintosh and Linux versions.
- It is always a good idea to use the right mouse button Shredder. Many features and functions are available via the context menu which will appear when you click with the right mouse button.
- If you want Shredder to play a greater variety of opening lines you can change the book mode to "Wide” in the "Extras -> Options -> Book Options” dialog in the Windows version of the "Preferences -> Book” dialog in the Macintosh and Linux version. Please note that Shredder will also play some inferior lines in the mode.
- The layout of the different windows in Shredder can be changed according to your preferences. Simply resize any window in Shredder with the mouse and all the other windows will automatically adapt their sizes. You can also use one of our predefined layouts in the Windows –> Windows Layout menu.
- The chess pieces and the chess board as well as all colours and graphics can be changed in Shredder. Simply right click on the chess board to change the pieces and the board or use one of the predefined designs in the Windows -> Design menu in the Windows version and use the Preferences -> General dialog in the Macintosh and Linux version.
- You can select "Hint” from the Help menu anytime to get an advice which move to play in the current position on the board. Use this or the corresponding button in the toolbar when playing against Shredder and running out of ideas.
- When you play against Shredder you can tell him to display a warning each time you have entered a bad move. Shredder will warn you and will suggest a better move for you. Use "Coach is Watching” from the Help menu to activate this feature.
- With "Mode -> Analysis” from the main menu you can switch on the analysis mode in Shredder. In this mode Shredder will never execute a move himself but will always start his analysis for the current position on the chess board. This way you can manually replay a game or enter new lines on the board and Shredder will always give you his evaluation for the current position.
- By executing a move in the analysis mode with the Ctrl key pressed you can restrict Shredder’s evaluation to this move. By repeating this with other moves you can also add more moves to analyse. Executing a move with the Shift key pressed will exclude this move for the analysis. This can also be repeated with more moves (Windows version).
- By selecting "Commands -> Show Main Line” from the main menu you can replay Shredder’s current main line in a variation board. This will give you a better insight into Shredder’s thoughts without disturbing his current analysis (Windows version).
- You can let Shredder automatically analyse games. Enter or load a game to analyse and select "Analyse Game” from the Mode menu. Shredder will add his comments to the game and show you where better moves could have been played.
- Did you know that you can access our online endgame database with all 6 men chess endgames directly from Shredder? You will instantly get the exact score for every possible position. Just setup a position with 6 or less pieces on the board and select "Query Online Database” from the Extras menu in the Windows version or use the "Online” button in the "Online EGTB” tab in the moves window. Shredder will then display all legal moves together with their score in the moves window, usually the rightmost window in Shredder.
- Did you know that you can access our online opening database with more than 16 million chess moves? Setup a position from the opening or early middle game and select "Query Online Database” from the Extras menu in the Windows version or use the "Online” button in the "Book Moves” tab in the moves window. You will instantly get the statistics for all moves that have ever been played in the current position in the moves windows, usually the rightmost window in Shredder.